We’ve had some rain this past week here in Toronto. I love the refreshing scent that fills the air after a good summer rainfall. Breathing in the cool mist that trickles down your throat when you take a deep breath in reminds me of mint! Mint chocolate chip ice cream also happens to be one of my favourite summer treats, so the inspiration for this cookie recipe is two-fold.
If you love chocolate and mint, you may want to give it a try!
1 and 1/2 cups of all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1/2 cup of unsalted butter (room temperature)
2/3 cup of white granulated sugar
1/4 cup of brown sugar
1 egg (room temperature)
1/2 tablespoon of pure vanilla extract
1/2 tablespoon of pure peppermint extract (depending on preference)
6-10 drops of green food colouring (optional)
3/4 cup of chocolate chips (I used and prefer semi-sweet)
Let’s get started!
Preheat your oven to 375 Degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a separate bowl, combine your flour, salt, and baking soda together. Give it a good mix.
- Next, whip your butter using a stand mixer or hand mixer on a medium-high speed for a good minute (I used my paddle attachment on the kitchen-aid).
- Once your butter has turned from a yellow-tone to a more white-tone, add your sugars, vanilla, and peppermint. Mix for another minute on a medium speed.
- Crack in your egg on a low-speed.
Time to add in your dry ingredients!
- Pour in your flour on a low speed and then blend in your food colouring until you reach your desired colour!
- Take a whiff of the invigorating mint batter before adding the smooth semi-sweet chocolate chip for a final mix. So, so good!
- Once your chips are evenly distributed, stop your mixing!!! An over-mixed batter will turn your cookie into more of a bread.
Now for the fun part… the dough-balling!
Make your cookie into whatever shape you’d like! Pop them in the oven for 8-10 minutes (depending on the texture you’d like).
Wait for an aroma full of deliciousness (Yes I used it).
And enjoy your chewy, melt-in-your-mouth-yet incredibly refreshing mint chocolate chip cookie! 🙂